The APPU meeting on “Opening-up the UPU to wider postal sector players” was held on 24 February 2021 at 13.00 hrs. (Bangkok time). The meeting was chaired by Dr. Behzad Eghbalkhah, APPU-EC Chairman, and Mr. Yutaka Kitagami as the Vice Chairman.
There are 92 participants from 24 APPU member countries attended the meeting namely Australia, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iran, Korea, Lao PDR., Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vanuatu, and Vietnam.
Mr. LIN Hongliang, Secretary General of APPU, said, in his opening remarks, that UPU must be open like the other intergovernmental organizations like ITU had opened up. There is no way to make everyone happy, we need to identify benefits that would be accepted by members and the other stakeholders when making changes, and we could not lose sight of the fact that APPU members were very diversified.
There are 5 keynote presentations made by UPU Task Force members from this region:
- Rebecca Rush, Assistant Secretary, Post & ACMA Branch, Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Communications Department, Australia.
- HU Changsong, State Post Bureau, China
- Mr. Kazuhisa Motoyama, Deputy Director, International Affairs Office, Postal Service Policy Department, MIC – Japan
- Ms. Ruth Wong, Deputy Director, Postal & Consumer Policy,
Infocomm Media Development Authority, Singapore.
- Ms. Dang Thi Thuy, Senior Official, International Cooperation
Furthermore, there were brief comments presented by Ms. Sofi Soeria Atmadja, Indonesia, and Ms. Fatemeh Etezade, National Post Company of I R. Iran.
The delegates actively attended the discussion.
The outcome will be shared with the APPU member countries through the minutes of the meeting soon. This online meeting was closed at 15.30 hrs.